Our freelance survey was conducted via Google Forms, from March 2–9, 2018.
Here are the questions we asked:
- In the last five years, what’s the highest hourly rate (in USD) you’ve charged a client? If you do not charge by the hour, that’s fine. Instead, please enter the highest effective hourly rate you earned on a flat rate project.
- In the last five years, what’s the lowest hourly rate (in USD) you’ve charged a client? Not counting pro bono work or special friend/family/etc. discounts. As above, if you don’t do hourly projects, figure out your effective hourly rate for a flat-rate project and enter it here.
- What would you say is your current average hourly rate (again, in USD)?
- Do you feel that you are generally paid fairly for your time?
- Respondents were asked to answer on a scale of 1–5, with 1 being “Never” and 5 being “Always.”
- Do you usually prefer to charge by the hour, or a flat rate for each project?
- Options were “Hourly,” “Flat rate,” or “A fairly even mix of both.”
- Do you generally sign a contract before beginning a project?
- Options were: “Yes,” “Sometimes,” and “No.”
- Please feel free to add additional notes/comments about your freelance charges.
- May we share your comments when publishing the results of this survey? Your comments are anonymous.
- Options were: “Yes,” and “No.”
- How many years have you been earning money from mapmaking, either as a freelancer or otherwise?
- What gender do you identify as?
- Options were: “Male,” “Female,” or the respondent could type another option.
- In what year were you born?
- In what country do you reside?
- Do you consider your cartographic freelance work to be a full-time or part-time profession?
- Options were: “Full time” or “Part time.”
- List any map-related degrees or certifications you hold
- Options were: “Bachelor’s degree in cartography/GIS/geography,” “Master’s degree in cartography/GIS/geography,” “Ph.D. cartography/GIS/geography,” “GISP certification,” “Other professional certification in cartography/GIS,” or the respondent could type another option.
Respondents were asked to “only answer questions as they relate to your freelance mapping work, not any other freelancing income.”